Apologies for all the exclamation points, but I've got some news! I'm so excited to have been nominated for a Liebster award! Twice, even! I was nominated by Janelle over at Run with no regrets and Ciara at Our Little House in the Country! These are both great blogs and I highly recommend you check them out. Janelle writes about running and Ciara about children and children's activities. I'm very grateful to have been nominated by these lovely ladies!
Back to the Liebster award - even though no actual award is given (I know, it's tragic!), it's a fantastic way for bloggers to support each other! Here are the rules:
- Thank the person [people] who nominated you and link back to their blog
- Provide 11 random facts about yourself
- Answer the 11 questions from the nominating blogger
- Nominate 5-11 [small] blogs you feel deserve the award
- Create 11 new questions for your nominees to answer
- Let your nominees know you've nominated them
11 random facts about me
- I met my husband in a tram in Prague where we were both on holiday. We were even staying at the same hotel.
- I speak 4 languages fluently, and understand another 2.
- I'm terrified of heights.
- I'm also a little scared of dogs.
- I finally counted and realised I have lived in 5 countries.
- I have a fancy shmancy degree in International Relations, but I'm unbelievably happy as a SAHM. I kind of regret studying so much.
- I love clothes. And shoes. I don't get dolled up much anymore, but I love fashion (and designing outfits I cannot sew).
- Coffee addiction. It's Bad.
- A part of me wants about ten children, but I'll settle for the 3-4 Hubby and I actually agree upon.
- I adore cooking. See my post about Russian culture. Cooking for my family is one of the most rewarding things I do! I love seeking that look of satisfaction on their faces as they dig in! That first bite always tells me if it's good (blog worthy) or if I need to work on the recipe some more.
- I've travelled to too many countries than I care to count, but it was quite a bit! One of my favourite trips was the China! It was so incredible, and I cannot wait to go back sometime in the not so near future.
- Why did you start blogging?
- What is the best job you have ever had?
Mommy. Seriously hands down. I've worked a few different jobs and granted, I didn't have a long stint in the workforce before becoming a SAHM, but even though being a Mom is the absolute hardest 'job' I have ever had, it is by far the most fun and most rewarding.
- What would you tell your 20 year old self?
Don't lose touch with that boy in the tram! My husband and I met when I was 20, and didn't speak for a few months thereafter due to a major communication breakdown. Oh, and that perhaps one degree less wouldn't be a tragedy.
- If money was no option, where would you holiday this summer?
Ukraine. It actually has nothing to do with money, but rather the lack of stability there. I miss it.
Or a gigantic road trip through the entire US.
Or a trip to China.
- Pinterest or Google +
- What is your favourite song of all time?
I have absolutely no idea.
- Christmas or Halloween?
Christmas. Halloween isn't celebrated in the Netherlands. Although, we don't do Christmas on Christmas. We have the same festivities, but on New Years Eve and Day. It's a Russian thing and it's awesome.
- Favourite outdoor activity?
A hike. I looooove hiking or walking, or just simply being outside.
- How long have you been blogging?
Hm. I've written posts since about August or so of 2013, but wasn't really blogging until January-February 2014.
- Favourite kids movie ever?
Hard to say. I love the newer ones, but we don't really watch tv too much or let the Toddler watch kids movies.
- What is the one thing you will do/have done differently with your children than your parents did with you?
Oh boy! Where do I begin? One thing? No yelling. Maybe it's a bit of a Russian thing to be loud, but I don't like it . We're laid back parents and discipline with a calm but strict voice. Apparently it works as the Toddler listens more often than not.
- What made you decide to start blogging?
- What food did you used to hate as a kid but now love?
Hm. Nothing? I love food even as a kid. Maybe just meat. I didn't really like meat very much as a dish on its own.
- Where do you see your blog in 5 years?
I hope, hope, hope to have expanded my followers :) to have learned how to use my new camera (Thanks hubby for that lovely Mother's Day gift!), and really to have things get a bit more 'professional' looking as far as layout, photos, and style. I also want to connect more with readers and start using social media a bit more.
- What's your favorite Disney movie?
- What's the best advice you ever received?
A few days before I gave birth, I told my mom I was really scared that I would screw up my son and wouldn't know how to parent him. She told me to follow my instincts and just do what feels right. Even though I had all of these ideas about parenting before giving birth, everything changed the moment my son was born and in my arms. Hubby and I have been doing exactly what she says - following our instincts, since that beautiful moment... after 32 hours of labour.
- What's your guilty pleasure?
Dark chocolate + wine + brainless reality tv on MTV. It happens if Hubby is working late.
- Where have you always wanted to travel?
All of the US. I lived in the United States for many, many years and have never made it out of the eastern parts of the country. I'm dying to see Texas for some odd reason. It just seems like the western part of the country has so much flair!
I have also never been to Africa and would love to visit ... like a million countries.
- Are you a dog person or cat person, or neither?
Neither. I'm scared of dogs, and I mean, I like cats, I just don't want to take care of a pet right now. A Toddler is enough. Could you imagine how many times the poor thing would be bit, poked, prodded? I mean, the pet, not the child.
- What's your favorite season of the year?
I love the changes in all of the seasons, that's probably the most exciting times of year for me - to see how the weather is bringing about differences in our environment. It's so exciting!
- What's your favorite blog post?
Probably the one where I talked about how I met my husband. It's not a very good post, but I really enjoyed writing it!
- What's a hidden talent that you have?
Tag! You're it! I nominate:
- Marnie at Super Smart Mama
- Sophie at Sophie in Clogs
- Kat at Naturally Global
- Raia at Raia's Recipes
- Lisa at Healthy Nibbles and Bits
- Kimberly at A Time to Freeze
- Deb at Sixtine et Victoire
- Kristen at Munchkin and Bean
- Nicole at the Kavanaugh Report
*I've read that nominees are supposed to have a certain amount of followers - I completely ignored that and nominated blogs that I like that I think fall into the not completely huge like A Pinch of Yum, but totally awesome category.
- How and why did you pick your blog name?
- What is your favourite part about blogging?
- Favourite blogging topic? What do you like to write and read about?
- What is your favourite food to cook?
- Tastiest meal you've ever had?
- What is your biggest accomplishment so far?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What kind of holiday do you prefer? Camping, hotel, cruise, etc?
- What do you look forward to doing this summer?
- Using Janelle's question - what is your favourite post that you have written?
- Favourite childhood memory?
That's it for today! This sure was a long one!
Thank you so much for reading,