It was zucchini in the form of a latke [that admittedly looks more like a patty than a latke]. I made these pretty gigantic monsters, but the taste? Oh yes folks. These. Were. Fantastic! I mean, seriously, the Toddler devoured them and even requested more! This is officially one of our favourite healthy zucchini recipes!
Okay, okay enough boring talk! Let's get cookin'!
Healthy Zucchini Recipes: Zucchini latkes
4 way oversized latkes that can pass for patties if you ask me
- Non Stick frying pan is important
- A good spatula for flipping - I use a wooden one
- Measuring cups
- 2.5 cups zucchini
- 1 cup kale or spinach
- 1 small shallot
- Juice of half a lemon [just squeeze the juice into your hand, while holding it over a bowl. You can catch the pits and extra pulp, and easily get the juice out]
- Grated lemon skin of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 cup almond flour [makes it paleo], spelt flour, or whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-3 tablespoons coconut oil for frying [or other oil of choice]
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- Grate zucchini and shallot
- Wrap the grated zucchini and shallot in a large tea towel
- Squeeze out all of the liquid as best you can
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl
- Place one tablespoon in the frying pan and heat it up
- Form a 'test' latke/patty in your hand, lightly squeeze out the extra liquid, and place in hot pan [you can turn down the heat to a medium-low setting to keep the latkes a bit green]
- Once you see that the sides are starting to brown, you can flip them. This will take about 3-5 minutes, but you'll need less/more time depending on how large you make them.
- Pan fry for an additional 3-5 minutes
- Once the test latke is done and you have a feel for how long they need to cook, go ahead and fill up the pan with delicious latkes! You may need to add more coconut oil as you go!
Be sure not to miss a single Welcome to Mommyhood post! The best way to stay up to date is to subscribe to get email updates whenever new posts come out! You'll be the first ones to know about free printables, new works, and so much more!
Thank you for stopping by!
This post may be linked up at any of these awesome parties: Marvelous Monday, Mostly Homemade Mondays, Munchking Mondays, Merry Mondays, Bloggers Brags, Savoring Saturdays, Tasty Tuesday, Gluten Free Wednesday, Recipe Fridays, Recipe of the Week, Real Food Friday, Gluten-Free Fridays