When it comes to cooking, especially with how busy life has been lately, I need to make sure that I am able to prepare our meals quickly. This particular (paleo friendly) sausage and broccoli recipe happened at the spur of the moment. My husband and some friends were working on our home and needed to be fed. I rushed to my in laws house (where there's a working kitchen with running water) and needed to create a quick, but filling meal for several men. So, naturally, this happened:
This spicy broccoli and sausage is very versatile and so easy to make! In this dish, I love the whole sausages and the hearty, warm, and 'big' feeling it gives by leaving the meat whole!
If you want to cut out the cooking time, I recommend chopping up the sausage into smaller pieces prior to cooking. A little secret: I dislike handling raw meat and frequently prefer to fry it whole then chop if I need smaller pieces.
If you're not of the paleo variety, I think it would pair really well with some bow tie pasta. If you are of the paleo variety - serve over some spaghetti squash and nom nom! Or do what we did and just dig in!
Easy, healthy recipes:
Spicy broccoli + sausage
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet or ideally a wok. A wok really, really, really will be easier.
- Add the sausages
- Pan fry sausages for 10 minutes on medium heat, making sure to flip often.
- In the meanwhile, prep the following ingredients: Slice the onions into half rings, finely chop the chili pepper, grate the ginger and garlic using a microplane grater.
- Once they obtain a lovely, brown colour and crispy coating, add the onions, garlic, ginger and chili peppers.
- Mix everything together very well and pan fry for five minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- In the meanwhile, you can chop the broccoli or break it off the stem as I like to do. Hint: perfect toddler task!
- Add the broccoli and spices
- Mix well and pan fry for three minutes
- Add the water, bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- At this point, the water should be mostly dissolved
- Add mushrooms
- Pan fry for three minutes
For more healthy recipes, check out my new paleo recipes page! For even more inspiration, be sure to visit my Paleo friendly Pinterest board!
Thank you so much for stopping by!