This post contains affiliate links
Actually, it's called ad-zhi-ka. Or something like that. Sometimes transliterating and translating Russian food into English gives me a headache. Unlike the pronunciation, this amazing chili sauce is the easiest and most delicious spicy-tomato-red pepper-and garlic concoction ever. Yes, I said it: EVER.
When I say this is easy, I mean it's very easy. The instructions for this consist of: Step 1: wash veg and Step 2: blend! Easy, peasy, riiiight?
By the way, if you're not that into spicy, there are two things you can do to still have a delicious sauce to add to your meals without the 'mouth on fire' feeling.
1. De-seed the chilies. That takes the heat down quite a bit.
2. Skip the peppers or only add 1-2
The husband and I are obsessed with heat and have a tendency of drowning meals in this stuff. Which is all fun and games until our mouths are numb. We never seem to learn though. So that's my PSA - use this stuff responsibly!
Oh and, it's delicious!
Easy, healthy recipes:
Russian chili sauce
5-10 minutes depending on how quickly you can wash your veg
- 10 ripe tomatoes
- 8.8-10 ounces or 250-300 grams red, chili peppers (deseeded if you want less heat)
- 6 red bell peppers, deseeded
- 2 heads of garlic, peeled
- Get out your food processor or a good blender
- Wash all of the vegetables
- Deseed bell peppers (and chili peppers)
- Peel the garlic
- Place into blending/processing tool of choice and blend.
Note: We don't like ours to be a paste so we leave it a bit chunky. That's optional and should be based on your own personal preferences!
Note: We aren't that into deseeding our peppers. It takes to long. And like I said, we like the heaaat.
Pair it with
Don't forget to subscribe to get emails whenever new recipes go live!
Thank you for stopping by!