This post contains affiliate links at no cost to you! Thank you so much for your support!
It's that time of year - butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and pumpkins are constantly on my mind! Last summer, my in laws planted butternut squash in their garden for the first time. This fall, we've definitely been enjoying the benefits of their work!
Since my injury, I've been on the hunt for easy, healthy recipes, especially kiddo approved ones! These butternut squash and apple muffins were definitely successes in both the easy/healthy compartment as well as a total hit with Y.
Not only was he incredibly excited to help bake the muffins, but he was equally as excited to gobble them up. Luckily, I made an extra batch for the freezer and can thaw a few out the night before for an easy breakfast or a snack on the go!
Butternut squash muffins
- 1 cup buckwheat flour (organic)
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 apple - grated
- 1 cup of pureed butternut squash*
- 3/4 cups of milk**
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (melted)
- Butter or oil for greasing the muffin tin
*To prepare the butternut squash: peel it and dice into chunks. Steam or boil the chunks until they are soft.
**We use organic, full fat, cow's milk or coconut milk.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, stir and set aside
- Prepare wet ingredients: puree cooked butternut squash. Use 1 cup of pureed squash.
- Grate apple
- Mix together wet ingredients (squash, apple, milk, honey, eggs, coconut oil)
- Whisk wet ingredients
- Add wet ingredients to dry
- Mix together briefly
- Grease muffin tin with oil, cooking spray, etc
- Pour muffin mix into the tin
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. The muffins will be golden brown when ready. To test if they are cooked on the inside, prick with a fork or toothpick. If it is clean, the muffins are done.
More awesome butternut squash recipes
Don't forget to subscribe to get emails whenever new recipes go live!
Thank you for stopping by!